Dental Checkup, Scale and Clean, Fluoride
“Checkup, Scale and Clean” every six months may be one of the most important preventive oral health investment you can make. It is never too early or too late to get into the healthy habit of six-monthly dental visits. Children as young as three years of age are advised to start visiting the Dentist for a 6 monthly regular Dental check-up, scale and clean so that they form a habit of good dental health & hygiene right from their initial stages of life.
A comprehensive dental checkup will be done by your Dentist at your initial visit & will include the following:
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check the condition of the current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Gum disease screening: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
Scale and Clean “Teeth Cleaning”
The professional cleaning of teeth is referred to as prophylaxis (or prophy for short). It’s a Greek word which means “to prevent beforehand” i.e. it helps prevent gum disease. A professional “Teeth Cleaning” Scale & Clean treatment every 6 months will remove calculus & plaque in places your toothbrush & floss have missed. The Scale & Clean treatment includes the below:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is a hardened, chalky, bacteria infested, tooth coloured film that has got accumulated for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments. If the scale, or calculus is allowed to accumulate on the teeth it will unfortunately provide the right conditions for bacteria to thrive next to the gums.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a soft, sticky, bacteria infested, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums which is the start of periodontal disease.
- IMPORTANT: Before you leave the practice, it is very highly recommended that you PRE-BOOK your next 6 monthly periodic “Checkup, Scale & Clean” visit which should be a very crucial part of your oral health regime to prevent gum disease to keep your teeth healthy throughout your lifetime. These are also known as recall visits in dental terminology for which we will send you a reminder in advance for your convenience that your regular check-up, scale and clean is due.
If you are a HCF extra’s dental health cover member, you are eligible for two FREE Dental Checkup, Scale and Clean visits per calendar year!
After your Scale & Clean treatment, it is strongly recommended to avail this optional topical application of Fluoride as it is the most effective mineral agent available to help prevent tooth decay, repair teeth in the very early microscopic stages of disease & strengthen the teeth since the acids from bacteria in dental tartar and plaque will have weakened the surfaces.
Your Dentist will apply the right professional grade concentrated Fluoride that is suitable to the individual. Fluoride comes in many different flavours such as chocolate, mint, strawberry, cherry, watermelon, pina colada etc. 30 seconds after the application of Fluoride on your teeth, you will be directed to spit as much out as possible into a saliva ejector. It is advisable not to eat, drink or rinse for 30 minutes after the Fluoride has been applied.